This morning, I woke up to half a dozen texts from my good friend Alex Macheras letting me know the good news. As of December 12th 2018, Qatar Airways is launching 5x weekly flights from Gothenburg Landvetter Airport to Doha Hamad in Qatar.
Not only that, but the flight will be operated by their state of the art Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The flight will operate year-round, allowing all of us previously not-so-well-connected Gothenburg-dwellers to reach the entire world with just one stop, on one of my top three favorite airlines.
So, now the logical question is – how do I book it? Well, for everyone in Europe, you’re in luck!
As you can tell, this flight is literally just under 3,000 miles, meaning British Airways will give you a fantastic award price on this new route. It costs follow:
37,500 Avios + ~$250
12,500 Avios + ~$250
As you can see, that is one hell of a value for Qatar Airways business class – for economy, not so much given the fuel surcharges. You also have the option of redeeming 42,500 AAdvantage miles to go anywhere in the Middle East or India from Gothenburg.
How do you earn British Airways Avios?
This post contains affiliate links to products I use and love. Thanks for supporting me!
You’ll want to sign-up for a credit card that earns Membership Rewards Points. Personally, I just signed up for the fantastic Swedish American Express Gold Card, which has a 100,000 point sign-up bonus (which converts into 9,090 Avios) and comes with four free Priority Pass Lounge visits per year. The card also has the following benefits:
- Best points earning in Sweden:
- 3x points per krona on all purchases abroad
- 2x points per krona in select Swedish stores
- 1x points per krona on all other purchases
- Four free lounge visits per calendar year with a free Priority Pass membership – access over 1000 lounges in the world and receive free food and drink + a nice place to relax before your flight. Additional visits cost £15 per person, which is still an excellent value considering a sandwich can cost 150+ kr at Arlanda.
- Free Gold extra card for a family member or friend who will get two additional free lounge visits.
- Travel insurance for you and your family, including delayed baggage, flights and more.
- Fast track at Ericsson Globe
- Annual fee: 1500 kr (free first quarter – save 375 kr).
Once you’ve earned enough points on your Gold Card, you can transfer them to British Airways and book directly through their website!
Any British Airways Avios earning credit card – there are plenty of them!
Explore your local British Airways and/or Membership Rewards earning cards. If you think there are no good options where you live, think again.